Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

HP 6510 not printing black, after I put a new cartridge in.

Customer Question

HP 6510 not printing black, after I put a new cartridge in. I did some research and found out that if you go into printer properties and change the paper to premium plus photo paper, it will print. However when you do diagnostics, it still does not print the results in black.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2-3 yrs HP6510 don't know the rest of the model
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC windows 10. Never had problems before, because I have changed the cartridges several times already.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 4 hours. I tried to print something in black and white and ran out of ink. Then I changed the cartridge.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try doing two or three Printhead Cleaning cycles, from your printer's Maintenance menu (or Maintenance functions in your HP software on your computer, where it can also be ordered.)

If those Cleaning cycles are offered as 'Black' versus 'Color' or '[various colors]', then choose Black Cleaning or Clean Black.

Let me know whether that gets the black ink flowing freely - it should.

As for why the selection for Premium Photo Paper get it flowing... maybe, because that type of paper requires a larger ink volume, and that way it gets through the partially clogged printhead / 'nozzles'? at a guess.

They may have clogged, because the old black ink ran dry, perhaps, also.

Let me know the result, please... or if you need further instructions.

If the result is good/favorable, please tell me, so that I may close this case. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it didn't work.

Is the black ink color still no showing up on normal printouts? Or is it at least faintly showing up, now?

Try a Print Quality Check Sheet, which will print blocks or lattices of all four colors out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a new printer.

OK. That's a solution to the problem.

Would you like to know about valuable options for disposing of your old HP printer?

(Or is it already long gone and in the trash?)

Here's a link to HP's offers, RE disposing of your old printer:

https://h41201.www4.hp.com/WMCF.Web/us/en/page/GlobalLandingPage/

There are the options of getting cash for turning in your old HP printer, of donating it, of getting credit toward purchase of another, etc.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.