John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I USE CANON SELPHY ES40 TO PRINT ID PHOTOS,SOME TIME THERE

Customer Question

I USE CANON SELPHY ES40 TO PRINT ID PHOTOS,SOME TIME THERE IS YELLOW COLOUR BETWEEN LEFT HAND SIDE FACE AND BACKGROUND. WHY IT HAPPEN AND HOW COULD I AVOID IT HAHHEN?
tHANKS
TOM
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm not sure at this point, what is causing the spurious yellow on your printouts.

Can you print a Test Page, on your Selphy, and tell me how the colors there come out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's happen some time, not all the time. depending the photo I take, if photo good the print out always good doesn't matter how many time I print,the problem is before i print, it couldn't tell at side of the face have yellow colour or not.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It looks like time of the day or temperature all have affect the out come the quality the photo

How much temperature variation, within what range of temperature, is the printout being done?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
mourning to afternoon about 15C to 25C

15 C is a little bit cold for a printer of this type. But 25 C, provided that the temperature change to that level is not too sudden, should be OK.

So in which temperature state did the printing come out with a yellow tinge ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Once photo done doesn't matter if I print morning or afternoon,15C or 25C result will the same.but winter time do happen more offen then summer time.
I guess something to do with the way we short the photo, the way we use the lights we couldn't work out..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We used Canon Power A495 Shot camera shot the photo.

So is it a problem with the photo taken, or is it a problem with the printout or the printer? it sounds as if it could be the camera and the shooting or lighting, not the printer - ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think the problem was photo taken but why cold weather happen more often then warm weather? Also we print 6 ID photos every time button left one always lees yellow colour then others.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can I sent you one so you Can have look it?

Yes, please send me a photo, so I can see what the problem is easily and at once.

You can attach a photo to your Reply, in the Justanswer Reply editor, by using the paper-clip icon to select the photo file... then when you post your Reply, it will attach that photo to the posted reply, also.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you see the right side of the man's face, on the borderline there is a slight yellow colour
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the picture.

That seems to me to be very slight, but I may see what you see.

(Compared to most of the problems I see with printers, this is relatively minor.)

I think the alignment of the printhead might be just slightly at fault. Have you tried an Alignment of the printer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is slight yellow colour only (you may see better if you had a hard copy in your hand) but the Passport Office won't accept the photos because of that. So we do need find out the cause and fix it.
You mentioned Alignment of the printer I think it worth try and could you show me how to do it?
Thanks

OK. For your model of Canon printer ... it appears that there is no alignment procedure or function.

I am researching this further and more in-depth, to make sure.

There is no alignment, since this prints using an ink sheet.

Make sure the ink sheet is tautly mounted, of course.

And, have you used the printhead cleaner unit? slide it in and out three times or so.

See if that improves printing.

(Is the yellow - which I honestly cannot see in the photo you posted, not distinctly) - an 'edge' to the face, or is it on the side of the face, the cheek, not just the edge?)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the yellow is like an extra border line that goes around the face, usually its more distinctly with the top row

Try using the printhead cleaner unit... slide it in and out two or three times (if you need instructions or a diagram, let me know.)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if you could send me a picture that would be much appreciated

OK. I am preparing that now...

Here is the diagram and instructions for your model, how to use the cleaner:

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, where can i buy this cleaner unit?

It should have come with the Selphy printer - look in its original box, packaging, manuals, etc.

I will look for a source for a replacement for it...

The Cleaner Unit for Canon Selphy ES40 (which is its proper name, and 'cleaning kit', etc. does not apply to this case... only the exact title, a "Cleaner Unit", can serve), is not available on Amazon.com nor on eBay.com, unfortunately.

It is not mentioned for sale at other places I can find. A shop for these printers, or a shop that sells this model of Canon Selphy ES40, might possibly have one for sale.

I'm sorry to say that after some searching, that's all I can say, and all that I have found.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just finish 3.5 weeks holiday and back to my computer fount out your system charged my credit card $46.00 for Justanswer Merbership which I never joined. Could please refund this amount $46.00 x 2 to my account and stop charge me member fee any more?