TheGeekGal
TheGeekGal,
76665483

I have a HP Officejet 5740 that I am having trouble

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet 5740 that I am having trouble installing. When I go to Control Panel, the printer shows up there but says "driver unavailable". I have repeatedly downloaded and tried to install the latest software and drivers but the installation fails. I have gone to Device Manager and the printer shows as "unknown device" - I have tried to download & install driver software from that and that has failed. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The printer is about 6 months to 1 year old and it is an Officejet 5740 all in one printer-scanner-fax
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have and HP Envy laptop and am using Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for several weeks - it was printing just fine and then all of a sudden it won't work. By the way I can print from my iphone
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - I'm just frustrated. Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Please give me just a moment to review your question and type out a reply.

There have been a number of issues like this following the recent Windows Anniversary update for Windows 10.

Let's begin by downloading and running the HP PRINT AND SCAN DOCTOR program. Please cllick th elink below to access it.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have downloaded it and it shows my printer

Thank you. Please select your printer and click on "Fix Printing". Please let me know what you see in the results screen.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no option to "fix printing"

I apologize. I was quoting from an HP service manual, but after running the tool myself, I see that the only options are next (if your printer is discovered) or retry (if it is not). Please click next.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay it has taken me to a page to install software

Is it asking you to install driver software for the printer? If so, please proceed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not driver software specifically - just software I will click install

Ok. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I get the error message that the installation failed. This is the same thing I have been doing many times over with no success.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can offer you Secure Remote Assistance where I connect with you remotely and work on the problem while you watch or I can opt out and open the question to other experts. Please let me know your preference.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry - my grandson disconnected us. Will the remote assistance really be secure?

That's ok. Yes, it absolutely secure. You will be able to see everything that I am doing and you will be able to end the session at any time simply by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the screen. We will also be able to chat as I work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I would like to do the remote assistance but don't want to be out any more money. I will get in touch with HP and see if they can help me. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I completely understand. Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Have good evening!

.