GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I have tried to print but failed. My printer says it is out

Customer Question

I have tried to print but failed. My printer says it is out of paper- Bur it has paper. Help please.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there Lowell! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I will do my best to help. There can be many causes of this. Please go through the following troubleshooting steps and let em know the results. Let me know if you have any question sor issues during the troubleshooting process.

Step 1: Check the condition of the paper and reload it
The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of low-quality
paper that has absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the
printer.
Use these steps to check and then restack your paper.
1. Remove the stack of paper from the paper tray.
2. Use 25 sheets of new plain white paper to form a stack of paper.
3. Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.
NOTE:
Do not fan the paper by running your fingers through the paper stack.
4. Insert the stack of paper into the paper tray.
5. Slide in the paper width guide to the edge of the paper stack. Make sure that the guide rests
gently against the paper stack and does not bind it.
6. Try printing again.
 If the issue is not resolved, try loading different brands of paper and different types of paper, one
type at a time, into the printer and then try printing again.
 If the issue persists, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Clean the rollers
Dust, paper fiber, and other debris might accumulate on the pick rollers and cause paper feed
issues. To help prevent paper feed issues, clean the rollers inside the printer and in the duplexer (if
equipped).
1. Press the power button to turn off the printer.
2. Wait for the printer park the print cartridges, until the printer is idle and silent, and then disconnect
the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Open the access door to gain access to the pick rollers. Depending on the model, this is usually
the rear access door or duplexer.
If your printer does not have a rear access door or duplexer, then access the pick rollers from the
front by removing the main paper tray.
4. Find the large rubber pick rollers.
Lightly moisten a clean, lint-free cloth with distilled, filtered, or bottled water.
5. CAUTION:
Do not use tap water or alcohol. Alcohol can dry out rollers. Tap water contains impurities that
can damage rollers.
6. Press the cloth against the rollers, and then rotate them upward with your fingers. Apply a
moderate amount of pressure to remove dust or dirt buildup.
If your printer has a duplexer, clean the rollers on the duplexer as well.
7. Close the access door (if you removed it), replace the paper tray (if you removed it), and
reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
8. Press the power button to turn on the printer if it did not power on automatically.
9. The printer makes noise after it is turned on. Wait for the noise to stop before continuing.
10. Try printing again.
Step 3: Reset the printer
If the problem persists, then reset the printer.
1. Without turning the printer off, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
3. Press the power button to turn on the printer, if it did not power on automatically.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating. You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!