Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Blue streaks, Canon MF8380cdw-- don't know the age, PC:

Customer Question

blue streaks
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Canon MF8380cdw-- don't know the age
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC: Windows 8
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: a week, I've tried recommended cleanings such as fixing unit and t belt etc. A head alignment was also recommended but not locating a maintenance tab. A couple of weeks prior to the issue had replaced the Canon cartridge with a universal type
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't guess so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That model is a laser-type printer, so cleaning the printhead or alignment of printhead is N/A - those are procedures that by and large are appropriate only for inkjet-type printers.

The blue streaks? they are almost certainly toner leakage. If they look like streaks of leaked toner onto the page, then that's almost certainly what they are.

You used a 'universal' or 'Canon compatible' cartridge? that may be where the problem is.

Note: if the blue streaks are light-blue, that is actually only a problem with one type of toner leaking: the 'C' or Cyan color, basically light-blue.

So if there are four cartridges in your printer, the one at fault is the Cyan cartridge. I advise replacing that one cartridge, period. It is most likely to help after the spilled or leaked toner is used up by three or four more pages being run off the printer, after the Cyan toner cartridge is replaced.