Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an HP 7610 wide format. Has been working great for a

I have an HP 7610 wide format. Has been working great for a couple of years. A few weeks ago, after changing the Cyan cartridge, all color printing seemed to have a blue cast, muddying the picture. When I "cleaned" finally got a cartridge failure message (I think) so I got a new Cyan cartridge. It is back to printing, but with the blue cast. Like, on a test page, the magenta is burgundy and yellow prints green. The blue (Cyan) looks OK.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HP Officejet 7610. Probably 4 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Asus PC laptop; Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I changed the cyan cartridge; been an issue for a month
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

These symptoms point to either a leaking/misfiring print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try again going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,