Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

My i860 is not printing as well as usual. Actually, I

My i860 is not printing as well as usual. Actually, I haven't used it for months to print a colour photo so perhaps that's part of the problem. Anyway, I tried a test print and it worked, showing that there seems to be a need for a head cleaning. I tried that but it hasn't worked. Nor has a head alignment. The printer just sits there. I'm wondering whether an update to El Capitan (now 10.11.6) has left the Canon driver behind and it isn't compatible anymore. Is there perhaps a way to get these printer functions to work manually in some way?

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

If the i860 has not been used for months then there is likely some dried up ink inside the tubes and printhead that are preventing it from working well. Since a head cleaning did not work, you should try running 2 or 3 more head cleans first. If that still doesn't work, then the print head and tubes will need to be removed and cleaned using an alcohol solution.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Pete,Thanks for your reply. I tried something last night after viewing the old i860 manual — "Hold down the RESUME/CANCEL button until the POWER lamp flashes once." I tried it and a new message box popped up saying in essence that the black 3e ink cartridge is empty and so the cleaning can't go ahead until it is replaced with a new cartridge. Too bad that didn't come up before. The only message I got before when using the software (Canon utility) was that I had low ink in that cartridge, not that it was empty. So the upshot — I will put in a new black 3e cartridge and give it a whirl again. I can't do that for a few days (busy, busy!!) but I'll get back to you and let you know the outcome for your future reference (although I wonder if anyone else in the world is still using an i860!). Thanks for your help.

Ok, let me know how it goes!