John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I subscribed to a tech support which should give me two

Customer Question

I subscribed to a tech support which should give me two years of help. I just replaced the black cartridge but cannot get it to print properly although the top parrt of the align page looks ok.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Oh dear. I am 94 years old and I cannot remember. It is a 5520 Photosmart series. serial # (I think) CN32N1336N
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just this afternoon. I changed the black ink cartridge after the print came out with white streaks across it. I had been warned about low ink for a while,but it was printing properly
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I tried cleaning the print-head, too but it did not change the quality of printing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found effective, first.

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)