GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

I have had an Epson 310 xp for about three years. Most of

Customer Question

I have had an Epson 310 xp for about three years. Most of that time it has been sitting idle. The reason is because it just does not work well. Fortunately I work across the street and can print and scan there.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About three years old. 310 XP should do it. By the by, just now even though I have a new full black ink cartridge it won;t print. It usually will scan, but sometimes won;t do that either.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC with Windows 7 pro
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Like I said originally, almost from the start. Seems like it worked OK for maybe a month or so. We have tried to re install the drivers luck. Just now there is an upgrade from you, and it won;t install for some reason
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just make it work, please.
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

When a printer isn’t used often, sometimes the ink dries up inside the cartridge and this results in it not working properly. Using the print cleaning option under utility can often times work in cleaning the cartridge, Please give me just a few moment s to prepare step by step instructions for cleaning the ink jet nozzles on your printer

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 days ago.

Cleaning the Print Head

You can clean the print head using the control panel on your product.

1. Make sure no product lights are indicating errors.

2. Load a few sheets of plain paper in the product.

3. Press the home button, if necessary.

4. Press the arrow buttons to select Setup and press the OK button.

5. Press the arrow buttons to select Maintenance and press the OK button.

6. Press the arrow buttons to select Head Cleaning and press the OK button. The power light flashes throughout the cleaning cycle and stays on when the cleaning cycle is finished.

Caution: Never turn off the product during a cleaning cycle or you may damage it.

7. Select Nozzle Check and press the OK button to run a nozzle check to confirm that the print head is clean.

If you don’t see any improvement after cleaning the print head up to 4 times, turn off the product and wait at least 6 hours. Then try cleaning the print head again. If quality still does not improve, please let me know as there is further troubleshooting that we can do.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. Remeber: If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.