Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I have just bought a new iMac with full OS upgrade and

Customer Question

I have just bought a new iMac with full OS upgrade and cannot now connect with my Canon PIXMA MP490 inkjet.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No. Probably seven years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: iMac Sierra 10.12
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: No issue with old computer. When I plugged in the printer to the new one, nothing happened.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know any questions to ask.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are no official drivers released for this particular model of printer for Sierra. So the printer might not be compatible. But lets try some older drivers. On your new Mac, go to this website --> https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742?locale=en_US

Then download the driver file, then open the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions to install it. This will install some drivers released for older OS X which may work with Sierra.

Then go to Apple > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. Click the + button and add your printer there if you don't see it there already.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting