Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have lexmark printer x5450 my problem is the the printer

Customer Question

i have lexmark printer x5450 my problem is the the printer keep saying the left cartrige and the right is missing and the left cartrige wo'nt clamp down it won't print and piece came off. i would like to know where is neareast location to take it to. i live *******************
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Unfortunately this is a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,