Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My HP Officejet 6700 Premium will not print in black ink

My HP Officejet 6700 Premium will not print in black ink only. I've put in a new cartridge of black ink and the other color cartidges are new and haven't been used, but the printer says it will not print until we change the color cartidges. I only want to print in black ink. How do I get the printer to print, and only in black ink?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My guessitmate is 10 years plus, and I can't find a model number anywhere! I do not have the manual (I got the printer from my son, who no longer had need of it). When I first got it, it worked just fine.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Is anyone there? Can I get some help? Thanks.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Since just before I changed the black ink cartridge about a month ago. I haven't been able to print since then. I had received notice to change the black ink cartridge, but I was having trouble printing even before I changed the cartridge.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing occurs to me.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Are you saying that you are trying to print, and it outputs a blank page (no ink where black should be), or it won't even allow you to print because of the color ink messages?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I does not output a blank page. It won't even allow me to print without changing the color ink cartridges.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing more to add.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is anyone there? I'm waiting for your answer. Thanks.

Thank you for confirming, and my apologies for missing you earlier, the system showed you had gone offline and I did not receive a response to my initial questions so I had stepped away for a bit.

Unfortunately what you are wanting to do is not possible.
This is a color printer, and as with all modern inkjet printers, ALL inks must be present and accounted for. Even if you don't intend to actually ever print in color, the color inks are still necessary for normal maintenance and cleaning processes which are automated. If even a single cartridge is low or empty the printer will refuse to print, as doing so would cause permanent damage to the printhead nozzles.

To proceed you must replace the empty color cartridges.

If you only ever want to print black, you'd be better off buying a new printer that is suited to this task. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nathan answered my question clearly although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. What I would complain about is your system for answering technical questions. I like the idea of an on-line conversation with a technician, but the delays between question and answer were long and I never knew when I would hear next, so I would go on to something else, hoping to get some kind of response when I returned.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In terms of rating Nathan, I would give him five stars for his answer and his notice and follow-up notice to me that he had answered.

Your'e welcome, and thank you for the feedback.

Have a great day,