John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

We are trying to install the software for a Workforce 630

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: We are trying to install the software for a Workforce 630 (using the USB cable) on a Windows 7 64 bit PC. (I'd been using the printer for my Mac, and now want to connect it to this PC over our wireless network.) We installed the software and got as far as seeing a warning that the software is not compatible with this machine. Please help!
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Epson Workforce 630
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: 64 bit PC running Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Software was installing. Installed for several minutes the utilities and (don't remember what else)
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We're using a USB cable for the first installation and hoped to be able to get this printer on the network (and then delete the cable).
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We've already paid $5 (deposit) and $18. Are you saying that you now want $39? (We never received any initial feedback in our inbox.) So, are you asking for a total of $5 + $18 + $39 before we get any help from you?

The remote session costs more. We don't have to do that, if you don't wish.

You stated that the software is not compatible. That may be because you have the wrong software. Please, download the the correct software from the following page and install it:

After you do that, you should be all set.

Please, let me know how that turns out.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, I cannot afford the additional cost. I downloaded the software and the window says that it's installing Epson drivers and utilities (as it did before), but it's taking a very long time. I'm not sure that it's installing from the just-downloaded software or from the disk that we tried before.

Please, update once it is complete.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well, the dots on the Software Installation window are still moving, so it seems that it's installing STILL. This has been going on for perhaps 10 min. Is this length of time normal?Oh, should I remove the CD from the drive so that it can't be trying to reload the old software?

You may remove the CD, if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I removed the CD, but the Software Installation window still shows running dots.

Okay, that is to be expected. Please, give it a few more minutes to complete.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Alright...I'm OK waiting; just concerned that it's not going to stop.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When I downloaded the software from the CD, this Software Installation page said "Epson drivers and utilities, Epson User's Guide, and Bonus software.". When I clicked "Next" on this page, I got the window telling me that the software was not compatible and to check with YOU. Can it still need more time for the software to download?!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Jason, How can I be sure that it's downloading from the link you gave me? Should I still wait, or maybe re-download and start all over?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When trying this using the CD, the documentation said NOT to plug in the USB until directed to. Should we now have have the USB plugged in before downloading?!