Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

My Brother HL-3170CDW printer is not printing the labels

Customer Question

My Brother HL-3170CDW printer is not printing the labels correctly-- it's printing high so a portion of the printing is off the label. I'm printing Avery 5160 labels. I've already updated the firmware and also used the Brother printer profile for labels. How can I adjust it so the labels print correctly?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The printer is a couple of years old but has barely been used. It's my first time printing labels. I was able to print the labels successfully at my mom's house and she also has the Brother HL-3170CDW printer.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 7 32-bit
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I goggled this problem and was able to find you through the search results. As I said, this is the first time I've printed labels so I don't know if it's always been an issue or is just an issue now. I tried printing labels last week and it didn't work but I didn't have time to look into the problem so I tried printing again now and it's still a problem.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

You will need to adjust the page margins slightly in the software that you are printing the labels from.

Let me know what software you are using if you need any further assistance with this.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am using Avery's Design and Print Online software to create the labels. In this program, you use the 5160 label template and when you press print it converts the document to a PDF from which you print. I was able to adjust the margins through Avery's program, before the document is converted to a PDF, using the "Make A Printer Adjustment" in the Print Options page. I shifted the document down 1/4 inch but this ultimately did not correct my problem as it resulted in the bottom rows of labels printing within the proper borders of the label, but now the issue is that the top few rows of labels printing too far below the margins. So, the document doesn't need to shift in aggregate higher or lower, but rather only some of the labels need to be shifted so that they print within their borders.

Do you perhaps need to shift the margin back up 1/8 inch?