John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have been a very pleased customer with a Photo smart 6520.

Customer Question

I have been a very pleased customer with a Photo smart 6520. I claim I have always used HP cartridges. However, I installed a new 564 black cartridge today with nasty results. The new cartridge leaked two big drops of ink on my floor, (my wife considered homicide) and it still does not print a simple odt file. I have two ink stained fingers as I type. Please contact Grampa George, either email or tel(###) ###-####
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I would suggest printer to be maybe 3-5 years. The cartridge is new today. Only info I have on model is nameplate that says...HP Photosmart 6520.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Computer is Acer, OS windows 7.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Issue just this week. The printer showed me an ink level of1/3 colors and MT black. So I purchesed cartridges at Target today.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there any defense if my wife considers afor mentioned homicide? I am stickley a home user with no business connections. And a D---med poor speller to boot.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 days ago.

Hello George,

Unfortunately I can't do anything to fix your defective cartridge, that is a HP issue and you can call HP or better yet take it back to target and have them replace it for you.

For the spilled ink, blot that up as best you can with paper towels, then set more towels down on it and pour rubbing alcohol on it, which will act as a solvent to dissolve the ink so that you can keep blotting it up, then just keep dabbing at it with alcohol on towels until it comes away clean.

For the printer itself though, are there further issues? Meaning is it going through the motions but outputting a blank page for example, or giving you any error messages?

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.