Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

My Dell 1660 keeps telling me to replace black toner. I've

Customer Question

My Dell 1660 keeps telling me to replace black toner. I've replaced with a new one 3 times and it continues to instruct me to replace black toner. It's also making a grinding noise when I install the replacement toners.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Dell 1660w, from 2013.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows XP & Windows 7 laptops.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It had been grinding for the last month whenever it prints but the prints came out fine. Now it is chronically out of black toner despite a new cartridge inserted 3 times.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: After initializing/reset, printed a test page noiselessly just fine. Then the warning returned to replace the black toner.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have checked the non-Dell Toner option. And I have unchecked it. Either way I get the same resulting instruction to replace.
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Have you tried using new, genuine Dell Toner cartridges?

If you are using non-Dell toner cartridges they may be defective or not compatible.

If using new, genuine Dell cartridges doesn't help, then the problem may be caused by a dirty corona wire - it will need to be carefully removed and cleaned.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, I haven't replaced with original Dell toner cartridge. Will try that as soon as I receive it.
I'm researching and realize this is an LED printer. I have owned two traditional laser printers by HP, the first one for 15 years no problem, and a 1020 I gave away upon acquiring this Dell. Both of those NEVER had any problems with non-HP toner cartridges. So I didn't think non-OEM toners would be an issue.
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 10 days ago.

Ok, let me know how it goes with the OEM toner...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just inserted a brand new OEM black toner and the printer started quietly on first initialization but I got the "Check Cartridge - Replace Black Cartridge 093-933". I restarted the printer (even shut off the power strip), and upon initialization the grinding noise started up slowly and got stronger, back to noise level before. And the printer is still saying "Check Cartridge - Replace Black Cartridge 093-933". What could it be?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Forgot to mention, at first I removed the previous black toner and vacuumed out the cavity before putting in the OEM toner. I've done this before and the grinding noise would cease, but then startup again as it did today.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Update: I vacuumed out every crevice on the printer and in doing so removed all 4 toner cartridges. I looked carefully at all 4 toner slots and noticed the printer's black toner well interior was not as smooth. The other toner wells have what looks and feels like a thin piece of foam lining around a square opening on the side wall of the 10cm diameter well. From the look of the CMY toner stains around their respective wells, this opening looks like where the toner goes into the printer. I suppose the purpose of the foam is to form a cozy seal around the ejection nub on the cartridge. The foam is crispy cut out in a square pattern around the CMY wells, but the black well looked kind of tattered. Using tweezers, I managed to pick off a few pieces of foam sticking out, then a large piece of the whole foam with square cutout in middle. There is still another piece of foam still there, same shape with square cutout. I don't know if the well is meant to have two linings of this foam.
Well, still can't print - it's still telling me to replace the fresh black OEM toner. But no more grinding noise.