John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have myy epson ex3240 projector hooked up to my hp laptop

Customer Question

Hello. I have myy epson ex3240 projector hooked up to my hp laptop via hdml connector. I get a projection of my desktop background and bottom strip of icons but I get no desktop icons projected. I can sometimes see the mouse arrow moving around but thats it. Its a new projector. help
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Check whether your HDMI cable is

1. firmly seated, at both ends

2. the ends are quite clean

3. the HDMI cable is of good quality - the poor quality ones often fail.

Also, did you hook up the HDMI connection with both devices Off, turn On the projector, and then turn On the computer and let it boot up? That may be necessary, to get the full display.