Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Mfc-l9550cdw prints really dark, Brother L9550CDW, PC

Customer Question

mfc-l9550cdw prints really dark
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Brother L9550CDW
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Had it 3 months and have 25k on it. Just replaced the drum and the belt life is at 67%. It just continues to give me really dark photos from pdfs that are clear on the monitor.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To some extent that sort of problem can depend on what you are printing from. Some printing controls are better than others, in some programs.

But also very important are these factors to check on:

1. does the self-test print (or Network Configuration Page, etc.) generated by the printer itself, look dark at all? if not, then you have a case where the computer has some maladjustment on it that is causing the dark printouts.

2. go into the printer's driver settings (or Properties) and see if the print density is set to Draft, or Normal, or probably to High Quality (which last would produce dark distinct print.... setting Print Quality or Print Density in the driver settings to Draft, would probably help with the problem, if it isn't already set that way.

3. And a last thing to consider is: Are you using Brother OEM original ink supplies? if not, results may vary, though having print come out too dark would be rather unusual for a non-Brother-OEM ink.

And a last few things too:

- the print density setting inside the printer, only if the test print / Network Configuration Page is too dark also, might need turning down a bit. It's a dial on the laser unit.

- print from several programs, see if results vary. If they do, then you have a problem in the program you are printing from, and should try printing from another.

Let me know the details some more, with regard to the points I have raised, and I will instruct you further as needed. Thanks.