Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have a Canon Pixma MP640. I was gone on vacation for two

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma MP640. I was gone on vacation for two weeks and unplugged the copier before leaving. When I returned and turned the copier on, I get the message "printer error" and the suggestion to turn the copier off and then on again. No change. The power lamps flashes alternately green and orange.
What can I do?
***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done that several times in the past 24 hours.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

thanks

Can you open the printer, remove the ink cartridges, power it off and remove the power.

Wait 2 minutes, power it on, put the ink back in and tell me if it now works please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No change.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, remove the ink cartridges, power off the printer and use a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol or warm water if you have none, to clean out where the cartridges go in.

Then use a damp cloth to wipe the inside of the printer.

Allow 10 minutes for it to dry, then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me please if it now works.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After cleaning and powering back on, the machine went through the first three steps to make a copy---but when it got to the "copying" task, the "printer error" words came back on the screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks

It is the printhead that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I lost contact with Richard, but now am back on. Thank you for your analysis of my problem. I will give a rating if you can reply to this note. I agreed to pay the $23 fee for this service, but I do not need to become a member, so how can I be sure that I will not be billed for more than the $23?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, I will make a note to customer service to ensure if you accidentally signed up for the subscription to stop this.

I will do this now

Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

please reply here

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

PLEASE, STOP MAKING NEW QUESTIONS AND JUST REPLY HERE