John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My computer has Windows 10, my printer Brother MFC-J430W was

Customer Question

My computer has Windows 10, my printer Brother MFC-J430W was working perfectly but my computer updated itwelf automaticallty and now my printer is not working. It still prints it wont print off anything that has come through my emails.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-J430W approx 5-7 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP lap top which is 5 months old and on Window 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: My computer updated Windows 10
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean it can print documents, web pages, pictures, etc., but it cannot print email messages?

Is there any error or message?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Is the printer connected to the laptop with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The printer is not printing from my computer, web or emails.
I can 'copy' a document and it will print but thatt is only in the printer, NOT from the computer,
The printer is connected to the laptop with a USB cable.
When I go to print from the computer, it will go to the printing page as it did in the past but it has.....
Microsoft XPS Document Writ
Then if you click on PRINT it comes up with "SAVE PRINT OUTPUT AS' - this was never there before.

Thank you for replying back. When you print something, at the print dialog window, click on "Microsoft XPS Document Wri...", then does it let you select your Brother printer, so you can print?

Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can fix this issue directly and quickly on your computer for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It does let me select Brother printer but comes up with
"We couldnt reach this printer. Make sure printer is on and you are connected to the Printers Network"

What's the status of the wireless / signal icon on the printer?

- Can you please disconnect the power cord(s) from the internet modem/router device(s) for a couple of minutes, then re-connect

, then turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on, then wait a bit and check.

- If needed, on the printer, can you go to Menu -> Network -> WLAN -> Setup Wizard, then select / connect to your wi-fi / wireless network name, and check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did the aboe but it still was not working. I spoke to a friend of mine who said she too had the same problem and suggested I un-install my printer and re-intall which I did, my computer and printer are now both working again.

Great. That was strange as usually, you just do the network setup on the printer and it would work. When you did the network set up on the printer's screen, did it show connected successfully, or did it give any error or message?

By the way, did you see my first response 3 days ago? Did you have trouble replying back to me at this web page previously, so that I could continue to help you quickly?

Do you need help with any other computer question / issue?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I communicated with you on Saturday but then had an appointment to deal with and yesterday was
Sunday and I was not at work.
At this stage all is working, thank you.

I see. OK, we are canceling this for you. Next time, if you can communicate with me, then I can fix any computer issue you have quickly for you. If you need help with any other computer question / issue in the future, please come back any time. Thank you,