Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a HP Officejet 6300 All-in-one printer that my

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet 6300 All-in-one printer that my neighbor gave me. Never used . I do not have a land line to connect fax to . I have a satellite dish d-link modem that I use with my cell phones and internet service. Can I connect my printer to this device ? the Wi-Fi name on the modem is :
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have a HP Officejet 6300 All-in-one printer that my neighbor gave me. Never used . I do not have a land line to connect fax to . I have a satellite dish d-link modem that I use with my cell phones and internet service. Can I connect my printer to this device ? the Wi-Fi (SSID) name on the modem is : dink-0728.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Dont know the age. It's still in the box. The laptop is a compac . Using windows vista .
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Never connected it. just got it
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the warranty card. Can I send in the card with my name on it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Are you wanting to use this for faxing? Printing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I want to connect to a fax
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That is not possible in your circumstance.

That HP unit requires an analog phone line connection (regular landline) to work properly.

With some adjustments it can work (though usually not well) with a VOIP line, so you could try using a voip gateway device such as ooma or vonage for example, but those are problematic at best and not recommended. It is not possible for this unit to fax through just an internet connection without that additional service provider in place though.

What you can do however is to scan your documents and email them to someone.

Or what may work better for you is signing up for an "efax" type service where they provide you a phone number that people can fax to and those then get routed to your email, and you can scan and upload documents to fax out as well. Examples of that type of service would be http://efax.com and http://myfax.com

I'm sorry there isn't a simpler option here, that is just outside the scope of what the HP printer was designed to handle.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nathan this printer has never been registered. Can I register it?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I don't believe so,

there would be no benefit to registering it anyway.

This is a 2008 model which is long obsolete and no longer supported. There is no warranty coverage for it and there aren't even drivers available for newer operating systems anymore.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, please reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.