Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Lexmark 7170 all in one won't print. Put new black

Customer Question

Lexmark 7170 all in one won't print. Put new black cartridge, get message of left cartridge incorrect.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Lexmark is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased in 2005. Has not been used that much in perfect condition. It is a printer X7170. Had issue of this in 2006 , called Lexmark and they sent me a new cartridge
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: HP pc Microsoft windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just recently after inserting black cartridge
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2005 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely many years ago. This particular head failure is an inevitable problem with these printers.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?