crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  5+ years as Tech
50836188

I get the paper jam message. I removed most of the paper

Customer Question

I get the paper jam message. I removed most of the paper jam, but a strip tore off. I am unable to see any paper anywhere, but still get the error message. Can I get into the printer to find the paper?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Canon pixma MP 490 and it is a few years old (7?)
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 8 PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today, I was trying to print a document and put new paper in, one sheet got stuck so the error message appeared. I removed the paper from the rear tray, but a strip approximately 1.5cm by 6cm tore off the leading edge. I am unable to see any sign of it.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

Hi!

Sometimes, the printer will just need to "reset" to remove the jam message.

Power off the printer

Unplug the printer from the wall outlet

Wait 1 minute

Plug the printer back in

Power on the printer

Do you still have the error message? If you continue to have the error, please take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIYj2cMRg_w and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCv5sv9gXKM to look for the jams.

If the issue continues, please reply back otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 1 month ago.

I still have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.