Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have an 6520 Photosmart Printer which prints, copies and

Customer Question

I have an 6520 Photosmart Printer which prints, copies and scans. The printer function is working fine, but when I attempt to copy, the belt goes to one side, but does not return. The side the belt goes to is lit up in pink. the readout says it copying but does not complete the job
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: model is HP PS 6520 and the serial number is ***** Unit is around 3 years old. I know it is out of warranty, but could you help?
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC with WIndows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started two days ago. Up to then no problem.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
BTW, the only to stop the display from showing printing copy was to cancel and then I had to shut down the printer. i even pulled sthe power plug and disconnected the printer.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It has been more than the estimated 8 minute wait time. Is there any solution? Have not heard either from screen or email
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Could someone (live chat) give me a better estimate of how long a response will other than "often in 10 minutes or less and always within a day."
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to say that, if by 'the belt' you mean, the parts of the printer's scanning apparatus that move under the glass sheet (including the scanner bar), then either you have a defective scanner (defects in electronics, or in position sensing for the belt, might explain it), or else perhaps, your HP machine is somehow being directed to scan through the ADF feeder, or top feeder, but your original is on the glass sheet. (This last could happen, perhaps, if a paper presence sensor element in the ADF feeder on top of the printer, were either registering document presence falsely, or else if if were fouled with debris, paper scraps, etc.

I would advise you to examine the top feeder, by opening it up and looking for paper scraps, fluff, debris, etc.

Let me know if you need any further advice, if there are details I can help with, etc. Thanks.