Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Umm well we have an Oce plotter printer, it is Oce, think it

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: umm well we have an Oce plotter printer
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it is Oce, think it is from around im checking
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Oce CS 2316 running from a pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: maybe from around 2006 i think
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are getting the error code E161-403E
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

On some related Canon printers, that error means the printhead has heated up too much. And, the printhead may have to be replaced, as well as the printer may need to be reset.

First, turn the printer Off, and let it cool down and reset thoroughly, unplugged from the power, for at least 1 or 2 hours.

Second, examine the printhead, make sure it is not clogged nor very dirty.

Third, hold down the Navigate and the Load buttons at the same time, while turning the printer On again after turning it Off again for several minutes or more, if the same error shows up again when started up again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Russell, i have turned the printer off, but will go take the power from the wall. can you tell me how i examine the printerhead?

The printhead is just below the ink cartridges. Do you know where they are?

What occurred before this happened?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, you mean if i take out the ink cartridges, i will see them? there are 6 cartridges..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure what happened! my designer said that he tried to print and got this message. but, it is used only about once a week and has not been used in a few weeks. i believe i recently replaced the maintenance cartridge and we have fairly new ink but. he said the error message popped up and has been like this for a few days.

Perhaps I misapprehended the problem a trifle. Is this a laser printer, or an inkjet printer model? if I may ask.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi, it is a plotter printer. i gave the model number in the beginning before someone started working on it.

Information on the OCE rebranding's model #s is minimal to none. That's why I asked, I'm sorry to have to say. Mention of a maintenance kit suggests a laser-type (larger-size) printer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but there was an answer from another similar if not the same question for a plotter - we got the same error message, and he changed the print heads and restarted as you said and it was working.

I'm not sure where the printhead is on your model.

Can you cite the reference you are making? that might be useful to me also, interpreted from my point of view and expertise (which may not include this exact model, but does extend largely.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1377846-canon-ipf750-plotter-service-call-error-e161-403e
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i was looking at the answer, your site popped up to "help me"

OK... Thanks! I appreciate your citing that.

That's not a part of JustAnswer - spiceworks is altogether another site.

I saw that page also. A problem with your question, your case, your problem, is that the printer involved there was a Canon inkjet printer for sure.

And you have an OCE printer. Which in some cases may be a rebranding of Canon, but ... as I said, information on what printer you have is lacking.

Where does the error code appear? on the printer itself, or on the computer's screen? this is an important detail.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry. i guess it was very odd that a pop up chat box came and asked me to put info in. i was nervous lol and didnt know if i was on a private site with answers - so i filled out the info and took a chance i could get help....the message was on the little screen where all the menu stuff would be. an orange blinking light and the message in the window with the code.

OK, I understand the situation.

I regret not doing better with this case. Since I cannot even identify your printer for certain, I feel it is best that I Opt Out of this case, with apologies, and having offered what help and guidance I could.

Again, I am sorry I could not help more thoroughly. I have opened this case up to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for trying Russell. :)