John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I can't get it to print my address labels (generic Avery

Customer Question

I can't get it to print my address labels (generic Avery brand purchased at Office Depot) I have had this SP 311SFNW for several months.Had no trouble with the HP Laser I had for nine yrs or more! Please Help! Elma
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: When I put the label sheet in and press print the red alert light comes on and it will not print them!
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Dell computer- I don't know the operating system.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have been trying to print since last Thursday and nothing happened before I tried to print the labels. Everything had been working fine-this was the first time that I tried to print labels.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I occasionally have trouble with the fax also. I had my computer guy hook this printer up but I can't get up with him ( we are in the Matthew area of NC)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Are you only putting in a single sheet of Labels into the printer?

I think the printer is not recognizing that there is paper (Avery Label sheet)in the prinetr.

Try this:

Put in about 20 pages of regular blank paper.......THEN put the Avery label sheet on top, so that it gets printed to first.

That should be enough to make the printer think there is enough paper.

.

What is the READ ALERT LIGHT on the printer suggesting the problem is?

Is it showing OUT OF PAPER?

is it showing OUT OF INK?

Is it showing PAPAER JAM?

.