Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years

I have a Pixma mx492 printer and I seem to recall it

Customer Question

I have a Pixma mx492 printer and I seem to recall it printing more than one page at a time when I first started using it with my lenovo computer (wireless LAN). Then it would print one page and only a portion of the 2nd page of a document, so then I started printing one page at time, with mixed results. Then I tried turning off the printer and the router and turning them back on again, and now I get a message saying that the printer cannot print the document. It doesn't say that it's "not responding". It says that it "cannot print the document". The documents are not large - 2 to 4 pages. I should say that even when I got this message, it sometimes printed the document anyway.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: It's a Canon Pixma MX492 printer.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have a Lenovo computer and I'm running Windows 10.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Well, I've had different issues with the printer not printing and I had to give up. Andd then, for no reason, it'll print a document with turning the printer off for a couple of days. And get this: after at least 10 minutes, the printer just printed the one page that I requested like 10 or even 15 minutes ago... And it printed the entire page, even though yesterday it always only printed a portion of the page, or nothing at all.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this point.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just tried printing a different document, and I received a message saying "Error: The printer was not able to print and then it says the name of the document. However, in my pop-up printer window it says: "Collecting printer status".
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm half expecting the printer to print the document eventually.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

No, not if it gave an error.

Is it connecting via wireless or via a USB cable?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is connecting via wireless. That is the way I installed it. The printer has just printed 2 blank pages of that 2-page document.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Can you please remove the power to the wifi router, the printer and power off the computer.

Then wait 10 minutes

Power on the wifi router, wait 10 minutes

Power on the printer then the computer and tell me if it now prints correctly please.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just tried printing the document again, and got the same error message, but now I hear the printer in the other room... it printed two blank pages