Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My837 is suddenly printing with a heavy emphasis on. Epson

Customer Question

My837 is suddenly printing with a heavy emphasis on green.
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Epson 837, 4 yrs.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Happened today. Made 2 prints, perfect, next print into greenland. Using epson cartridges and paper
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi James,

if you make a photocopy (from the glass) does that come out tinted green also?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't tried the glass, Just the wireless connection between the Mac and the Epson Artisen 837
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just did a glass colour shot and it is green also.Green is replacing reds and browns.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Nathan, have to go.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry I missed you last night, James. By the time you had replied back I was offline for the night.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Nathan I feel we didn't have a consequential enough exchange for me to enter a meaningful rating of your expertise.
I don't want to be unfair so haven't submitted a rating.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello James,

This is simply information as a starting point, and I'm happy to continue the conversation.

I've laid out the basics above but we can always go into more detail. How may I be of more assistance to you?