Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Not receiving information from computer. problem has

Customer Question

not receiving information from computer. problem has occurred since I had the back cover off to clear paper jam.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC 255cw about 8 yrs.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: opened back cover to clear paper jam.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is there any error or message?

Are you currently able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not printing from the computer)?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can print from printer. Have cable connection
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for replying back. Are you able to open Control Panel on the computer?

Please try the following fix:

Solution #1:

1. Disconnect the printer's USB cable from the computer for now.
  2. Right-click on the Start button (which is the windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Control Panel.
    ; (Or press at the same time the two keys Windows log and R on the computer's keyboard, then type control then click OK, then the Control Panel window will open.)
  3. Then open Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers
  4. Then there, right-click on the Brother printer, then click on option Remove device, and confirm Yes / OK to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Brother item showing there for now.
  5. Make sure the printer is powered on.
  6. Re-connect the printer's USB cable securely to both printer and computer.
  7. Wait a bit, and the printer should automatically be reinstalled on the computer.
  8. Then see if you can print something now.
    - If needed, when printing, at the print dialog window, make sure the correct printer's name is ***** ***** then click on Print.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

If that does not work, please try:

Solution #2:

2. Press at the same time the two keys Windows log and R on the computer's keyboard, then type notepad then click OK, then the Notepad program will open.
  3. In the Notepad program, click on File menu at the top, then click on Print.
  4. Then there, right-click on the Brother printer, if any, then click on option Delete, and click on Yes to delete it for now. Make sure there is not any Brother item showing there for now.
  5. Then click on Cancel at bottom, then close the Notepad program.
  6. Make sure the printer is powered on.
  7. Re-connect the printer's USB cable securely to both printer and computer.
  8. Wait a bit, and the printer should automatically be reinstalled on the computer.
  9. Then see if you can print something now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,