Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.

I had to reload my Canon MX 450 printer. When I try to print

Customer Question

I had to reload my Canon MX 450 printer. When I try to print from my laptop, I get the following error message "Enable bi-directional support on the Printer's Properties Dialogue Box. I cannot see this possibility when I scroll through the options. I also cannot print from my iPhone/iPad by wireless connection for the MX 450 printer. Please advise.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Never before. It is probably 3 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Had a meeting that interrupted our dialogue. Back on now.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing happened. I did have my laptop updated recently and thereafter the MX 450 printer disappeared from devices.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 13 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is it the Canon printer model MX452? Please check the label(s) on the printer.

Are you currently able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not printing from the computer)?

Can you please disconnect the power cord(s) from the internet modem / router device(s) for a couple of minutes, then re-connect

, then turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a minute, then re-connect, then turn on, then wait a few minutes and check?

What's the status of the Wi-Fi / wireless light / icon on the printer?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac laptop?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

- If that does not work, please try the following fix:

- On the printer, press the Setup (the wrench / screwdriver icon), then use the Left and Right arrow buttons to select option Device settings, then press OK, then select option LAN settings / Wireless LAN Setup,

, (use left / right arrow buttons to select each of the options above, and press OK button each time)

, the printer will search for an access point / wireless network name. (Note: If a message appears telling you to press the WPS button on the access point, press the Stop button on the printer.)

, then select option Standard setup and OK

, then select / connect to your wi-fi / wireless network name

; if prompted for password ***** passphrase / key, then when :a is on the screen, using the numeric keypad will enter lower case letters on the screen. To enter a letter, press the corresponding key until the letter you want to enter appears. For example, to enter the letter "c" you would press the number 2 key three times.

; You can press the * (asterisk) key in order to switch to the uppercase mode (:A), lowercase mode (:a), or numeric mode (:1). (It is displayed in top right of screen).

- Please click on the website below for video instructions:

- Also, the full instructions / illustrations are at the website below:

- Once it is done successfully, then you should be able to print on your iPad / iPhone.

; Note: Make sure both the printer and iPad / iPhone are connected to the exact same wi-fi /wireless network name.

- For fixing the laptop, please remove all the Canon printer / program from the laptop, if any, for now

, then click on the Canon website below:

, then there, download and install the Drivers - MX450 series MP Drivers (or MX450 series Mini Master Setup)

, once it is done installing successfully, then check printing on the laptop.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,