Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers

I'm trying to scan with my new CANON MX492. It is saying

Customer Question

I'm trying to scan with my new CANON MX492. It is saying that my PC is not connected. It prints fine from my PC. Just wont scan. What do I need to do?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its brand new to me. First time to try using the scanner
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC windows
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I printed a document . Signed it. Pushed the scan button. Save to> poops up I push OK, it says Local USB. I press ok. it says document type. ipress ok it says auto scan, i press ok, it says scan local USB, I PRESS START, it says PC NOT CONNECTED
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 16 days ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Windows are you using on your PC ? 7,8, or 10 ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 16 days ago.

You should initiate the scanning process directly from computer. There are many ways to Scan a document. First method is, click on Start menu and look for an app named Scan. Open it and use it to Scan.

If you don't see Scan app, then type Scan at the windows search box and this will show Scan app. Open it and use it to scan. If you don't have it, then you can get it from here -->

Another method is (if you have installed the disc came with it), search Canon Scan or IJ Scan and if it finds anything, open it and use it to scan.

If you don't have that app, then go to this website and download the "MX490 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)" -->

(Go to above website, click DRIVERS AND DOWNLOADS. Then download the Full drive and software package, open it and follow the onscreen instructions to install it).

After installing it, you will see the Canon Scan or IJ Scan app which will allow you to scan.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you