Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

I'm using a brother hl-1110 printer, but received an error

Customer Question

hi, i'm using a brother hl-1110 printer, but received an error saying the cover is open
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: i just bought it a few days ago :)
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc, windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i just tried to print. it was fine when i turned it on.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i've already tried opening and closing the cover but still no go. that's about it. thank you
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: should i keep this page open to wait for the printer expert?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The Cover is Open message will appear if the printer thinks that the top cover of the machine is not closed completely.

To clear the error message, make sure that the top cover is completely closed.

Open the cover, then close it again firmly.

If the problem persists, try keeping some pressure down on the cover whilst trying to print.

If that doesn't work, then the little plastic part that triggers the cover sensor may have broken off.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can you specify which little plastic part and how to fix it? Keeping pressure on the cover doesn't work.

There should be a little plastic protrusion on the cover that fits down into a slot on the main body of the printer - if it has broken off then the sensor will not be triggered.

Look for the slot on the lower part of the printer where the lid meets with it and check if there is a matching plastic protrusion on the cover.

If there is not then you can try to jam the sensor with something.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's still there. :(

Ok, can you try jamming the sensor anyhow? It may be that the sensor has slipped lower down and the plastic piece is not touching it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is it the slot at the bottom with the white plastic? I tried jamming it and it still didn't work.

Yes that is the sensor.

It needs to be pushed fully down by the plastic piece on the top cover.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah, I've jammed it so it's pushed it down all the way when the cover is closed and it's not working. Still have the same error.

Ok, then it seems that the sensor has failed - if that is the case then it will need to be replaced.