Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.

Canon mg5320 was working before upgrade of Mac to Sierra.

Customer Question

Canon mg5320 was working before upgrade of Mac to Sierra. Now message says filter failed. What does that mean? How do I print something?
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No never did this. Probably about 6 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac OS 10.12 just updated.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Was gone for five days. Printed boarding passes before I left.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 16 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try each of the following solutions until it works:

Solution #1:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click on Sharing.
  2. Do one of the followings:
    • If the Computer Name field is blank, enter a name for your computer, anything you want.
    • If there is a name in the Computer Name field, rename your computer, anything you want.
  3. Close the Sharing window.
  4. Then check printing.
  5. If that does not work, click on the Apple logo menu, then System Preferences, then Printers & Scanners, then select your printer in the Printer list. Click Options and Supplies, if available.
    , then click on the General tab, if necessary. In the Location field, enter the exact same computer name you entered in step 2. Click OK.
  6. Check printing.
  7. If needed, restart the computer, then check printing.

Solution #2:

- Go to the Apple logo menu -> System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners

, then click on the Canon printer, then click on the - (minus) button at bottom left, and delete the printer for now

, make sure the printer is powered on

, then click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, then select / add your Canon printer

, then check printing.

Solution #3:

- Make sure printer is powered on and connected to the computer

, then go to the Apple logo menu, then click on App Store... then click Updates, and if there is any Canon update, then install it

, then check printing

; if needed, in Printers & Scanners, delete the printer, then re-add it again, then check printing.

Solution #4:

- Reset printing system:

1. Go to the Apple logo / menu, then click on on System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears, and confirm reset.
    (Or right-click on the printer, then click on Reset printing system, and confirm.)

- After resetting the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

3. Click on the + (plus) button at the bottom left to add back the Canon printer.

4. Then check printing.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Please let me know if there is any error or message, or if you are stuck at any step.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I called My Apple and did a safe reboot which solved the problem. Please cancel and refund.Thank you