JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.

Printer recent new purchase, Initially prior to setup 1st

Customer Question

Printer recent new purchase, Initially prior to setup 1st time had difficulty finding correct USB connection.....then all went smoothly. Set it up for Wi-Fi printing and it worked great for couple of days. Then it stopped working, everything time I want to print I get this code: Support Code : 300 The printer does not respond. Make sure that the printer is plugged in, powered-on, and properly connected to your computer. Everything has been plugged in, there is only one plug to elec outlet and one plug to attach to computer, both in tight. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to technology, I'm a go-by-the-directions kinda gal and not so intuaitive
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: not finished yet
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: MacBook Air OSX 10.9.5
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Was working fine, my husband used my computer to print something, my grandson was over, he apparently saw the printer drawer open by itself and closed it and opened it a couple of times, my husband told him not to, he left it alone, next time I went to print I got this code. I have unplugged it for over 36 hours. I went online to see if I could find out what to do. Last night I tried to see if could print with direct connection. I was able to. So now I have two different printer listings, even though digital display says Wi-Fi, if I plug in cord and click on one that says Canon MG7700 series it prints. If I unplug cord and digital says Wi-Fi and click on Canon MG700 series 3 it shows preparing to print for a second and then get error code 300. I did the IP address Ping thing, and they both came out right indicating 0.0% loss for two different IP addresses one with direct connection device and one with WiFi. So either machine faulty or probably I'm just doing something wrong.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you, ***** ***** anything else to tell.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have already written in lengthy detail my problem. First - Where did it go? and how did I get here?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No thank you. I want to know how to do things for myself.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you even have my question? I only agree to the $5 previously mentioned and now that submitted credit card, everything is another charge.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Now have backtracked and see you have my question. Can you tell me what the problem is?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
See a question I did not answer my printer machine is Canon Ink Jet MG7720, repeat I have a MacAir Book OSX 10.9.5
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

The problem is that your computer has lost the wireless connection. You need to remove the print server icon for your wireless connection in the Control Panel of your computer. Then you need to disconnect the usb cable and reinstall the printer drivers.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me make sure I'm clear as to what to do. I have the Canon Quick Menu icon & the Canon IJ on-screen manual icon, and I have a printer icon which when I select to print a list of my printers in various locations comes up. My printer is listed twice now as indicated above one for direct connect and one for WiFi, my husbands printer is listed, our FL printer is listed. So...I'm guessing I need to delete the listing for the WIFI printer. Only time USB is connected is when I'm printing with the direct connect mode. and I go back and setup as though it is an initial setup and with the drivers. Do I have that right or am I leaving something out or mixing something up?
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

First make sure that your printer is connected to your wifi network. You may need to connect the usb cable to do this if the connection has been lost. Then disconnect the usb cable and download and install the printer drivers for your operating system from the Canon support website, using this link:

When the installation has completed, use the new print server icon to print a test page.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. That all sounds very familiar as to the initial installation. If all this works, will the direct connect set up by itself with its own IP address, will that still be there or will that be lost because of new drivers?
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

You are welcome. I have given you a summary of the entire procedure, but We can do this interactively., and I can help you and answer any questions that you have.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Just FYI: I'm able to read all this on my computer screen and I keep getting text message but unable to read any of those, it just sits with and have blue line halfway across and never goes further
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Unfortunately I have to get ready to go to a dinner and must leave here by 5:30 so will be unable to do this until later tonight. Guess no way to reconnect if having problems figuring it out.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your help. Can you advise what my card will be charged in total?
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

That is okay. I will be online tonight when you return. You can reconnect with this session by selecting the link in your notification email. You should get an email notification for each transaction in this conversation. They are emails, not text messages.

Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

You have only been charged a deposit, so far. You do not have to pay for the question until you accept the answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks again. ***** have problems I will contact you via email notification.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If it works I will advise and accept answer. Have a great day.
Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

If we can successfully install the drivers for the wireless connection without resetting the printing system on your mac, your wireless direct connection will not be affected. You can reinstall the drivers from your hard drive or from a disk. You do not have to download them, unless there is a problem with the drivers on your hard drive. In this case you will need to locate the folder for your Canon MG7720 software delete the entire folder.

Expert:  JKalman replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I have not forgotten you and once I get this up and running you will get your rating. I worked on this early this morning, but not yet successfully. It did not go as it did upon my initial setup, meaning computer did not ask quite the same questions, did not receive the same links for downloading drivers, so I think I must have misclicked on something along the way. I will be retrying later, had company for lunch and have late afternoon doc apptmt. I work best on computer at night when I don't have interruptions. You will be the first to know once its correct.
Expert:  JKalman replied 15 days ago.

I completely understand, since I also experience time constraints and interruptions myself. I also like to work at night. I believe that we have a three hour time difference, since I am located on the West Coast, and your remarks would indicate that you are on the East Coast.

Please understand that we have only discussed the printer driver installation procedures in general terms. If you are unable to find the right method by trial and error, please let me know before you get too frustrated. I have a method that is guaranteed to work, and I have not told you all the details. It takes longer than what we have discussed, but it always works.

I did not get your name, by the way. Mine is

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Joel, my name is Karen. Sorry to take so long, my printer works hooked up to USB, but still doesn't on wireless. Upon initial installation I had no problem and found drivers ok and all worked for awhile. Now can't seem to find the drivers. I see they have charged me the $5 deposit and the remaining $18 on my Visa already even though I'm not up & running with wireless. If you could provide me with the link to the correct drivers that might be very helpful. You have been very professional and helpful but I cannot give an excellent rating yet because it still doesn't work. Thank you. K
Expert:  JKalman replied 10 days ago.

Hi Karen,

I have not been online until now, and I apologize for the delay in my reply to you. It is okay if you do not have your driver cd, because it is much better to get the latest drivers from the official manufacturer's website. I would send you the link, but you have never really specified the accurate model number of your printer. It is in the MG7700 Series, but that is not the model number. I need something like MG7720 or MG7750. Also, since Canon sells different models in different countries, I need to know what country you purchase your printer from. The MG7720 seems to be the only model in the MG7700 Series that is sold in the US.

Best regards,

P.S. The Canon US website is down for maintenance, but it should be available by the time you get this message and respond to it.