John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

RE: No black ink - now, even limited grey - colors are OK) I

Customer Question

RE: No black ink - now, even limited grey - colors are OK)Hello. I have now tried everything in my bag of tricks - with the help of HP help desk and many others having similar problems. I have an old HP officejet 6500 E709n that has been a great machine - a real workhorse with no problems beyond my ability to research and fix. However, this is different. I have tested, retested, uninstalled everything, even to registry and reinstalled to try to resolved several issues over the last 48 hours. I don't think they were necessarily related, but there were multiple issues. I'm now down to only ONE that I simply cannot resolve. All ink is within normal range - or if low (not ! low, but getting low), I changed cartridges to no avail.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Printer is about 5-6 years old. Model HP officejet 6500 E709n. I purchased it new from Staples.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Sorry, I hit "send" prematurely. I have very new Lenovo ideapad Flex4 running Windows 10 - latest version, with all updates current.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had some problem with the printer "seeing" my husbands older laptop that I upgraded to win 10, but that was resolved (wrong ip address). The new Lenovo immediately worked seamlessly with the old HP 6500 and has worked for about 3-4 weeks. This new issue started with an ink message for the yellow - I changed the cartridge and then started having ink failure and alignment messages. I cleaned outer components without removing printhead and was getting only grey text - and some color for those documents with color. All test continued to show color OK but no black. (Black ink still showing about 1/3 remaining). I finally changed black cartridge and still have same issue. No other hints other than periodic "printer offline" message.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The printer is getting older, now with some of the message screen pixels missing, making it hard to read. But I know this printer, so don't really need that. However, if this is likely a PRINTHEAD that is damaged, I am probably best to find another similar newer printer and be done with it. I just hate to have to spend more money if there is a good solution. Thanks for any help you can provide. Susan Menkhaus
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hello Susan,

If you make a copy, from the glass (test both black and color modes), how do those come out?

Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.