John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon MG6200 series printer and an apple computer.

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG6200 series printer and an apple computer. It keeps shutting down on me. It won't stay connected. Sometimes I can play around and get it to print and sometimes hours of frustration does nothing. I don't know if my computer upgrades upgraded my printer or not. I don't know what to do. I have been on the phone with Apple. They helped me quite a few times, but it doesn't seem to stick. Help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the printer?

Is it wireless, or connected by a USB cable?

What error message does it produce, when it fails to print, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have wireless cable modem. My computer, my cable modem and my printer are only about 8 feet apart. There is only 1 computer and 1 printer. This has been going on for 3 months, ever since my cable company has issued me a new cable modem. They insist it is not there problem or responsibility because of a frequency issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The error just says that it cannot locate printer or that it is trying to locate printer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want to securely connect. This is already costing me too much.

Understood - please just ignore the offer of remote service.

If the printer was not set up correctly, then when turned Off, then later turned On again, its IP address on the wireless network might be different from the one in the software, and make the software try to send print jobs to the wrong address.

Assigning the printer to a static IP address might help.

Shall we try that? does it fit the picture that you see?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there something else that we are going to try here or did this just cost me 33.00. So how do we go about fixing this? Can you walk me through some steps?

The steps are elaborate. I'd have to get some info about your system first, before advising you and instructing you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have an iPhone. I have a very old flip phone. It is very time consuming for me to get your calls. What info do you need to help me with my system?

I am sorry, but I fear that from the sound of it I do not have the ability to help with the problem. To give you a chance at being helped by another Expert, I have Opted Out of this case, opening it to other Experts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You texted me. My phone does not have texting capabilities. I hope you can help me without texting.