TheGeekGal
TheGeekGal,
76665483

Joan Dingwerth -My printer shows an error has occured. Gives

Customer Question

Joan Dingwerth -My printer shows an error has occured. Gives rttot 5800. Please advise. I need my printer
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there Joan.My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Is it possible that the error message is 5B00 rather than 5800? Please double-check and let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Error message 5800
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oh you are right it is 5B00

Thank you for confirming that for me. Give me just a moment to type out troubleshooting instructions please.

This error usually occurs when the waste ink absorbers are full.

Canon printers use small, spongy pads to absorb excess ink that accumulates while printing and cleaning the print heads. When these pads are saturated, the printer will notify you with an error message such as "Ink Absorber Full." Some models display a series of flashing lights that you must consult the user manual to decipher. Although you can easily remove and clean the pads on most Canon printers, this is not considered to be a user serviceable part and the recommended procedure by Canon is to take it in for service.

If you'd like to try cleaning it yourself, please follow these steps:

Step 1

Fill a large bowl with warm, soapy water and set it aside. Put on the rubber gloves.

Step 2

Open the ink cartridge compartment. Depending on your Canon printer model, this compartment may be in the front or the back of the machine.

Step 3

Wait for the ink cartridges to move all the way over, then disconnect the printer's power cord.

Step 4

Look for a black rubber frame under the ink cartridge assembly. This contains the ink absorbing pads.

Step 5

Pull the rubber frame out of the printer and remove the ink absorbing pads. The number of pads varies by model.

Step 6

Place the pads in the bowl. Rub and squeeze them to remove the ink. When the water becomes opaque with ink, discard the solution and refill the bowl with more warm, soapy water. Continue this procedure until all ink is removed from the pads.

Step 7

Squeeze the excess water from the pads and place them on a stack of three or four paper towels to dry.

Step 8

Check the pads every hour to determine if they are dry. If the paper towels become saturated, change them out.

Step 9

Place the pads back in the rubber frame when they are completely dry. Reinstall the frame in the printer.

Step 10

Press and hold the "Power" button and reconnect the power cord. When the printer comes on, release the button. Wait five seconds and push the "Power" button again. This resets the printer's internal memory and overrides the "Ink Absorber Full" and/or 5B00 error code.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you stand by while I try thhis?

Yes. Please respond and update me with the results. I will be notified when you respond. Sometimes there is a slight delay in notification if the site is extremely busy but I WILL get back in touch with you. I am committed to working with you until the problem is resolved.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I opened the "lid" but the ink cartriges dont move over.

Is the printer turned on? If not, please turn it on.

If it is on and the carriage is not moving, please unplug the printer (without turning it off) and allow it to sit for 10 minutes

Plug it back up and then turn it on and try again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok I wwill try that.

Thank you. Just keep me posted.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I waited ablut 15 minutes, tried again the carriage still will now move to let me access the print heads.

Joan, let's try this. Turn the printer off, then lift the lid of the printer (including the scanner portion) and then while the lid is open, turn on the printer. This MAY resolve the problem AND clear the error message. You may not even need to clean the ink absorber. This sounds more and more like a problem with the carriage mechanism.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you can refund my money and be sure to cancel any sort of "membership:"

I'm sorry but as an independent contractor I don't have access to billing or account info. If you will contact customer service via email at [email protected], they will be able to help. You can also find their phone number if you prefer to call at ww2.justanswer.com/help.

I did find one more thing to try before we give up.

Turn the printer off, then lift the lid of the printer (including the scanner portion) and then while the lid is open, turn on the printer. This MAY resolve the problem AND clear the error message. You may not even need to clean the ink absorber. This sounds more and more like a problem with the carriage mechanism. The 5B00 error usually refers to a full ink absorber but is a catchall sort of error code and it sounds like this time it is due to the carriage not moving. I can't guarantee that this method will work, but it is certainly worth a shot. Please try it and let me know the results.

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The rest of the story I found a repair shop in my town that works on Cannon printers so It is now in his hands to try to fix it.