WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

My ADF is not pulling paper all the way through. I know

Customer Question

Hi. My ADF is not pulling paper all the way through. I know exactly which roller it is stopping at, but I don't know how to fix it.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: canon MF6550. Maybe 4 or 5 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Last couple of days. It stopped feeding a fax and said that there was a paper jam, but there was no jam
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will only be able to access this machine until 3:00 EST today, so I am hoping to hear from someone by 2:00 EST today so we have time to troubleshoot. If there is no response by 2:00 EST, we are no longer interested in your service. Thanks.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Wes, and I'll be assisting you today.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes the rollers become dirty and cause the paper to slip. The roller next to the ADF is most likely dirty.

This can cause the paper not to pick up or even cause a paper jam because the sensors do not see the paper pass in a certain amount of time.

To fix the problem, unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper. Then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need additional help so I can assist further.
Also, please rate my answer below so based on your satisfaction.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We did that before asking for help. It didn't work. So far, you have not solved my problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checking the rollers is one of the things suggested in the troubleshooting section of the manual.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 month ago.

The roller usually needs to be cleaned with damp paper towel using Windex to remove dirt. Otherwise the roller will need to be replaced. If it is under warranty, you can get a replacement roller.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.