Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

I have a HP Deskjet 9800, about 6 yrs old, I'm using windows

Customer Question

I have a HP Deskjet 9800
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Deskjet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 6 yrs old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I'm using windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the power button and resume button keep blinking. I've tried powering down, restarting computer, uninstalling and re installing driver. Nothing works. There is no paper jam and all covers are closed.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My daughter was trying to print something offline and when I plugged in this morning my printer went nuts.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** the Power light and the Resume light are blinking alternately, that means the printer can't get any paper to feed in. It might mean that there is a paper jam that you just don't see. Here's a few things to try. First, make sure that there is paper and it's properly positioned to load into the printer. Then:

1. Press the Resume button to feed the paper and see if it continues to print.

If that doesn't work:

1. Power off the printer.
  2. Remove any loose paper from the input tray and the output tray.
  3. Turn the knob on the rear access door counter-clockwise to release the door. Remove the door and gently pullout any jammed paper that's in there. Then put the door back on and turn the knob clockwise to lock it.
  4. Open the cover and make sure there's no jammed paper in front. If there is, carefully remove it.Close the cover.
  5. Press the Power button to turn the printer back on. Open the cover and allow the carriage to move it if wants to.
  6. Unplug the power with the cover open.
  7. Reach inside the printer through the paper output try and try to move the carriage with your hand. If it's on the right, move it to the left. If it's on the left, move it to the right. If it's in the middle, move it to the right.
  8. If you find any obstructions when you do that, carefully remove them. Make sure that the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.
  9. Close the cover
  10. Power on the printer.
  11. Try it again.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

If I've helped you solve your issue, can you please accept my answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept my answer and rate me at least 3 stars. If I haven't, please chat me back and I'll get a solution to you.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I was just checking back with you to see if my instructions helped you get your printer back up and running. If I helped you solve your issue, can you please accept my answer? I don't get paid anything at all for helping you if you don't accept the answer. Thanks!