Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

It prints half the paper, then stops and the paper and ink

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: it prints half the paper, then stops and the paper and ink lights are on flashing it shous paper jam , bu the paper is not jammed
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Epson Artisian 1430 I just got it
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: well after installing the software and trying to print the test page it started
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

I see that your printer is jamming halfway through a print job! I know that probably really upsettings since you just got this printer.

I will do what I can to give you the best advice to fix this.

The first thing you would need to do, since this is a brand new printer is remove the cartridges and remove the paper. Get a flashlight and make sure there is no packing debris left in the printer. Make sure all the tape is removed. You may want to unplug the printer to remove anything, as you might get shocked, and we don't want that to happen.

Make sure that you are using new, smooth, high-quality paper that is not curled, creased, old, too thin, or too thick. Do not load paper with holes punched in it. Follow any special loading instructions that came with the paper.

If you didn't have any obstruction in the printer, do this:

1. Cancel the print job from your computer, if necessary.
  2. Gently pull out any jammed paper from the sheet feeder.
  3. Press the paper/cancel button to resume printing. If the product lights still show an error, continue with the next step.
  4. Press the power button to turn the product off.
  5. Open the printer cover.
  6. Remove any jammed paper, including torn pieces.
  7. Close the printer cover and press the power button to turn the product back on.
  8. Carefully follow all paper loading instructions when you load new paper.

Let me know if this doesn't resolve the problem by responding to this thread.

If the issue is fixed, please kindly rate my answer with 5-stars in the right hand upper corner so that I may receive credit for assisting you today!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Jennie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer runs the paper smoothly, but when I try to print it prints halfway and then the jam paper and ink light start flashing. I do fallow all the instructions and when I try to print I get the same problem again.

If you want an honest opinion from an honest technician of 15 years, here it is.

If I were in your shoes, I would pack the printer up, take it back where I got it from and switch it out for a new one. You have that advantage right now if you JUST purchased it. There is usually a 15 day return at most stores for electronics, as well as a one year manufacturer's warranty.

It sounds like maybe you got a defective unit, because right out of the box, your printer should NOT be giving you this type of issue. If there is no paper jam and no shipping debris, then there is something wrong with the printer.

Save yourself the headache and get a brand new, fresh printer - which is what you paid for.

I hope this answer helped a bit! Let us know if you have any questions!