John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Can my pixima MX479 get a virus from my infected computer?

Customer Question

can my pixima MX479 get a virus from my infected computer?
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Cannon Pixma MX479. about 4-6 years
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: it was an HP, PC. Just bought and had Geek Squad set up a Lenovo PC note book Model80V500000US
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About a week ago I tried to scan using the can software. I didn't work so I called tech support, after trying several "fixes" the tech said I belive it's your computer not the printer. SOOO I spent over 12 hours and 4 days talking with several countries Re:the HP issues, final word from their numerous techs, was "it can't be fixed. That's when I bought a new computer. So I don't know I I need to buy a new printer, will by the same one, if still available, or can this one be "cleaned" so I can use it
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that I tried to use it from my Surface Pro and the reply was "being used by another computer"
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 23 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

A printer cannot get a virus. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,