jinsmn, Engineer

I own a 1 1/2 - 2 year old Officejet Pro 8600 Plus. Lately

Customer Question

I own a 1 1/2 - 2 year old Officejet Pro 8600 Plus. Lately when I print multiple copies of a colored letter the first copy shows the correct color, but the following copies change. My agency logo is a tiger head facing emerging from tall green grass on both sides. The tiger should be orange and black but the subsequent copies turn yellow and black. This happens even when I shake the very full color cartridges prior to printing.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is a OfficeJet Pro #8600 Plus. Approximate age is 1 1/2 yrs to 2 years.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Usually my Surface Pro 1 with Windows 8.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: can you go back and read my first text? all of your questions were listed there...
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It started about 2 -3 weeks ago, and at first my removing the 3 color cartridges and shaking them (they are all quite full) would make the next print color correct. Now that doesn't work.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing happened before this started.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  jinsmn replied 22 days ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

It sounds like the problem is with Cyan or Magenta catridge. If it is old catridge, please replace with new one. If it is new as for replacement, because it seems the ink in the catridge is dried and / or the print head on the catridge is damaged.

Sinking the catridge in semi hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and make it dry by applying air and using it again is a method some local shops following to solve dry ink catridges issue, but I do not recommend it to you, because if there is any water remains it will make serious damage on the printer circuits. So I like to recommend replacing the cartridges with original manufacture one (compatible cartridges by third-party manufacturers have low quality ink, plastic and circuits).

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
All three of the color cartridges are brand new. next guess please...You also mentioned the print head. can it easily be replaced? If, how do I obtain the part(s) and can I do it myself?
Expert:  jinsmn replied 22 days ago.

Okay, if so the problem may with the print head. Please run the ‘Clean Printhead’ routine from the TOOLS menu 2 or 3 times in a row. Verify print performance by activating the ‘Print Quality Report’ – small color blocks should be printed.

If the poor print quality issue cannot be corrected, then the PRINTHEAD may need to be removed from the printer and cleaned. Sometimes, the print head may be replaced.

Please refer : also.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just replaced all of the cartridges an ran the "Clean Printhead" 3 times, The 3 Magenta color columns Are quite striated and uneven on all sides. The orange is only slightly better. the Blue, Green and the 2 Black-Grey columns are very sharp.
Also, I ran the "Align Printhead" twice. Both times it stated that the alignment was unsuccessful. How do I clean the printhead? Alcohol swabs very gently? I did watch the video on replacing the printheads, so I do know how to get them out. Please advise.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 21 days ago.

Yes, you can try cleaning the heads with Alcohol. If it not helps, you need o change the print heads.