Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

My printer lost its power. MG5500 series. Ive changed power

Customer Question

My printer lost its power. MG5500 series. Ive changed power sources to no avail.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MG5520. 2 years old.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had the printer on and it was in process of printing a series of copies.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: what are the probability of a power cord failure?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes

press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds

keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you