John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Have an HP Officejet 5740 and my computer is no longer

Customer Question

have an HP Officejet 5740 and my computer is no longer connecting. The set up for the printer requires the ID that is on the original paper work that I do not have. Is there any way to get the ID without the paperwork?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I purchased it in April 2016 - HP Officejet 5740
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Lenovo PC Laptop with Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working until I left the state in July and through Sept I was using another internet connection. When I returned home the computer would not connect to the printer.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried to reinstall in setting screen and it is asking for the printer ID which I do not have. Lost the paperwork.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your internet modem / router device?

Is the printer wireless? Or is the printer connected to the computer with a USB printer cable?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GT784WNV Wireless printer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No remote - cannot pay $52

How about with the small amount as shown?

Please let me know; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - Please refund money charged on my credit card - was not $5 as stated. I will find the answer to my printer problem some where else.