Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert

HP Color LaserJet Printer 2605dn - printer has started

Customer Question

HP Color LaserJet Printer 2605dn - printer has started putting a greenish vertical line about 5/8th of an inch wide on otherwise correctly printed pages. The mylar belt has the same greenish stripe. I have replaced the yellow ink cartridge and cleaned the belt a number of times without any change in the problem. I have also run the printer's cleaning function a number of times without any apparent improvement.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 24 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Approximately how old is the printer?

Can you attach a scanned image of a page showing the greenish vertical line?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The printer is about 8 years old, but has only printed a few hundred pages. The stripe is a pale green, even though the image attached here looks more gray. I have replaced the "Yellow" cartridge, which I expected would solve the problem. The problem has not changed, other than being a little lighter than before. I have repeatedly cleaned the stripe off of the mylar belt, but it returns immediately when I print another page.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Pete, Are you still working toward solving my problem? -- Richard
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 22 days ago.

Hi Richard, thanks for the images.

These lines are caused by a defect in either the color cartridges or the drum roller within the cartridge, or possibly a faulty drum unit.

The defect could be anything from a physical dent in the roller to wear and tear that is preventing even distribution of the toner powder.

If replacing all of the cartridges doe snot help then the problem is likely with the drum unit.

Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 18 days ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?