Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I am trying to reinstall Officejet J4550 All-in-One on my

I am trying to reinstall Officejet J4550 All-in-One on my computer, now running Windows 10 & my starter CD disc is only good for Windows 2000, XP, & Vista. How do I get the install files for Windows 10?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your OfficeJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HP Officejet J4550 All-in-One purchased 12-09
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC running Windows 10 ver 1607
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Printing from PC was fine before the lastest Windows update on 10/2. After that my PC recognized the printer/scanner ONLY as a scanner.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm a novice (-;

Hi there and welcome

You can install the windows 10 driver from my link below

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-J4000-All-in-One-Printer-series/3645081/model/3645096

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had already downloaded that driver & when I selected "install" my PC hangs up for hours on "Checking System"

ok, sorry I did not see this in your initial note, only you needed the driver.

How long did you leave it when it was checking your system?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
overnight - about 15 hrs

ok, restart the computer, then instead of double clicking the file to install, right click it and select run as administrator

Let me know please if it then installs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
rebooted PC, downloaded file. Rather than using the download asst, I just saved to PC. Then I right-clicked on it & chose "run as admin". However, the same screen came up as when I used the download asst: "Select Install to Begin Installing", with 2 options: Install and Exit. If I select "Install" I get hung up on "checking system" as before. If I try to right-click on install, nothing happens - nothing additional pops up on screen.

how is the printer being connected? Via a USB cable or via wireless?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
usb

ok, disconnect it and then try to do the installation please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
without reconnecting?

yes, it will ask you to connect

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Again, just hangs on "checking system". Never asked to reconnect yet. Does this whether or not I run as adm or not.

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel

click System and Security

Then click on System

Then System Protection

Then System restore

Choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do I reconnect printer before or after the restore

after please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, with printer unconnected I tried to restore prior to the 10/2 W10 vers 1607 update. It went through the process & rebooted. Then a msg was displayed saying the system restore did not complete successfully because it couldn't access a file - probably due to anti-virus prg running. However, I had Kaspersky disabled, so now I don't know what to do.

try to run the restore again as it can take two runs, then tell me if it restores please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did not restore - same reason cited as before

Can you follow the steps here please to create a new user account on the computer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Sign in with this new account and tell me if within this you can install the printer please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Created the new acct as instructed, but when I tried to log in with the acct, it failed: "User Profile Service failed sign in - User profile cannot be loaded". Deleted acct & recreated it again; tried to login with new acct with same results.

ok, the windows has some serious issues, this is causing it all

we will try to repair it

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to install the printer please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Richard, it is very hard to be patient & trust your direction at this point in time. It has now been over 12 hrs stuck on 10%. I am communicating with you NOW on my phone because my PC is now out of commission. i will stick with it, but had some activities that I needed to do on the PC that I'd rather not do on my phone. Too bad for me. Also, unfortunately after Wednesday I have to be out of town 'til the 18th. I will let this PC process continue, but will not at all be surprised if I find I'm still at 10% when I return 2 wks from now. I will be in touch & hope you have an answer for this mess. Although I couldn't print before I contacted you, at least I had use of my PC. Not so anymore ��
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lo & Behold! After over 26 hrs on the chkdsk/r command, Windows has loaded & I logged back in. I plugged the printer back in and using the HP Download & Install Assistant, I extracted the driver file you referenced in your first post. I chose "Install Now" & subsequently "Checking System" has just displayed. Questions: How long should this step take? When should I abort the install and get back to you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Richard - it looks like you aren't working today, so I went ahead and cancelled the install because "Checking System" remained for over 2 hrs. Then I tried it again, running it as admin, with same results. I noticed when I ran Task Mgr to cancel the stalled install process, that it was listed as "HP Installer Setup (32-bit)" My OS is 64-bit. Is this why is stalls? Just wondering. As I mentioned in a previous post, I will be out of town 'til 10/18, so you won't hear from me in a while. However, upon my return, I'll contact you again so we can figure this thing out. Take care 'til then.

Hi there

the fact it took so long meant there were a lot off issues it needed to fix. 32bit installer is ok on 64bit you just can't do the other way around.

Let me know when you're back please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Richard - I am back home & ready to resume troubleshooting my printer problem.

ok, try to install it now and tell me if it installs please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that when I returned home on the 18th. I went to downloads & clicked on HP Officejet Full Feature Software + Driver - OJ_A10_J4500_Full_Win_WW_140_404-4 dated 7/18 (220,698 kb). The Installing Officejet J4500 Series box appeared and it sat on "Checking System" for 1 1/2 hrs before I aborted it. What next?

Thanks

Can you follow the steps here too make a new user account

Once done, restart and sign in with this new account

Then try to install the printer in this account

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I followed those instructions and added a new local acct indicating I didn't have the person's info or Microsoft acct. I tried to login as that new person and it wouldn't let me - saying: "User profile service failed sign in - User profile cannot be loaded". All there was was an "OK" box. I clicked it and it returned me to the log in screen. I deleted the new acct, re-added it using same options, tried logging in again with same results.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh - just noticed I should have "restarted" after adding the new person. I'll try that now )-;
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did the Restart & tried logging in as new acct - same failure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are now back where we were before the chkdsk procedure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm about to call it quits and buy a new printer.

ok, it is not the printer that is at fault but the computer

you will need to do a reinstall of windows.

Is all your data backed up off the computer? (programs you will need to install again but this will remove all your data)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh God - that scares the heck out of me. I have a Clickfree Backup system that performed a backup yesterday.

ok, if everything you need is backed up (your program you will need to install again) then to do the reinstall, click on Start, Settings, Updates & Security, Recovery

Then choose Get Started, you have to choose to remove all your files.

Let this complete, setup windows again like when you first installed it and then try to install the printer please.

`

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to need you to detail out the steps for me please including the setup.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please - before I do anything.

ok, the steps I gave you are the steps you follow, what do you mean with detail out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
setup windows again

It will lead you through this on the screen, the same as when you first purchased the computer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't remember it's been so long. So, you are saying after I wipe everything out & turn it on, it will lead me thru the installation of Windows 10?

yes that is correct

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to think about this for a bit. I may just take the PC and backup to my local computer shop to do this because my apprehension over losing something vital is overwhelming. Give me an hour or so to decide what to do.

ok, no problem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, Richard. I've decided to take my PC into my local shop. The stress I feel over doing this myself is overwhelming & I don't need that in my life. I'd rather have someone else take care of this for me and assure that all my 'stuff" will be there when the process is complete. Thanks for your help.