Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I am getting a 5100 error message, I have unplugged it and

Customer Question

I am getting a 5100 error message, I have unplugged it and waited for a bit, plugged it back in I am still getting the message. Oh and the lights went out last nite for about 45 minutes, without notice.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

Hello Judith,

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am sorry I am having a hard time figuring out how to open the printer arg frustrated
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I will just have to do it later I guess. sooo frustrated
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I will try to get back on here tomorrow when thee is more time to do it. Thank You
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
When I get back on here tomorrow I will have you to do it remotely. Thank You
Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

That is fine Judith, you can bookmark/favorite this page to get back to me at your convenience.

Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.