John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My Canon MP280 printer is flashing an E3 error and will not

Customer Question

My Canon MP280 printer is flashing an E3 error and will not print. Also, the ink cartridges won't move to the middle when I open the lid. When I attempt to print, an icon shows up on my monitor that says I have a paper jam. I do not have a paper jam (haven't had one with this printer) and have checked all of the compartments and everything is clear. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

E 0 3 on this printer, means that the Paper Output tray is closed. Open it... it has to be open for the printer to print (since the printed-upon paper must go somewhere, and with the Paper Output tray closed, it has nowhere to go.

Or it means, there is a paper jam condition.

After straightening out the printer, press Black or press Color after reloading paper.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I have done that and am still getting the error. My printer tray door opens as soon as the power comes on

Do you know what the Paper Output Tray is? just to make sure my instructions were indeed followed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the paper only goes in and comes out of 2 places.

Have you checked thoroughly for a paper jam condition? through all of the printer's paper path, and its interior?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have checked all areas. I have had to update some drivers yesterday and now have an error code of 0x00000002 saying it can't conect to printer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also seem to loose my ability to use a program I need to get homework done. I get through a few lesons and when I go to another lesson it's like it doesn't connect but still opens

OK. I can help with that, I think. Please tell me, is the printer configured for wireless printing? or is it connected directly with a USB cable?

Also, what Windows version is on your computer, please?