Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I did everything that the instructions told me to do and the

Customer Question

I did everything that the instructions told me to do and the power button and the alarm button keep flashing, I don't know what to do?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Do you see a particular pattern to any of the flashing lights?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The power button will flash and then the alarm light and it keeps going
Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

I understand they are flashing, but there is usually some pattern to it, such as flashing 7 times, pause, 7 more, etc, rather than just a continuous blink

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
A continuous blink
Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Are the 2 lights flashing simultaneously, or alternating?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, it is at/past its designed service service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. This is a very basic model printer designed for minimal use and lifespan.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

My apologies for the news,

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 21 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?