Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

I have a cannon mx922 printer with a support code 6000

Customer Question

I have a cannon mx922 printer with a support code 6000 error
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: no, the printer is probable 3 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: we were just trying to use the copy function.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happened within the last hour
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just how to get back working.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you this evening!

I see that you are getting an error 6000 on your printer! Give me just a moment and we will get started and try to resolve this as quickly as possible.

OK. Error 6000 is basically a line feed error. What this means is that it is possible that there may be an obstruction in the printer itself.

To resolve this, here is what you need to do.

1.) Open the cover and when the printhead (ink carriage) comes to the center, pull the power cord out of the wall or the back of the printer.

2.) Wait about a minute or so, then move the carriage all the way to the left with your hand. G

3.) Get a flashlight and see if there are any obstructions.

4.) Move the carriage with your hand all the way to the right. Check for any obstruction.

5.) Remove the rear turn around door and check for obstruction there.

6.) You can take the entire unit, turn it upside down, shake it firmly a few times, and anything you can't see will fall out.

7.) Plug the printer back in and try to print.

Let me know if this works.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I opened the door for the ink cartridges the carriage was all the way to the left. It did not come back to the center. I moved it back to center manually and then to the right. I didn't see any obstructions and the ink cartridges were not lit up.

Did it throw that error 6000 again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Are you able to take the cartridges out and put them back in? You would have to repeat unplugging it and doing so without power.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I turned the power off, removed all the cartridges and replaced them, turned the power on and still get the 6000 code.

OK. The purge unit might be throwing that error then. I take it that this printer isn't under warranty?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
correct

This is pretty much a last ditch effort to resolve without purchasing a new printer. If this doesn't work, then you would have to choose to either have it fixed or get a new one. Getting a new printer probably would cost less.

1. Open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord. (If you have to move it, that's okay.)
2. The purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head parks and is the top of the Purge unit.
3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked.
(The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)
4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so, see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything there.

This error also means that the purge unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment.

Or the printer has just reached its limit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That seems to have done the trick. Thanks

You are welcome! If you don't mind rating my answer with 5 stars so that I may receive credit for assisting you, I would greatly appreciate it!

I hope you have a wonderful evening!

Jennie